Sunday Times Books LIVE Community Sign up

Login to Sunday Times Books LIVE

Forgotten password?

Forgotten your password?

Enter your username or email address and we'll send you reset instructions

Sunday Times Books LIVE

Paige Nick

@ Sunday Times Books LIVE

Keep calm and read this blog post.

Is it just me or are things particularly mad right now?

The crazy state of life in general got me thinking about this poster:

I’m sure you’ve seen it before.

According to Mr and Mrs Wikipedia it was produced sometime around 1939 at the beginning of WWII by the Ministry of Information (not related to the Ministry of Sound - I checked).

Don’t worry, this will be a short history lesson. And I will spatter it with dirty words to keep things interesting.

It was kind of a ‘last case scenario’ thing. They printed two and a half million posters, (nipples) but they were only gong to use the poster to keep morale high, if the Nazis managed to invade Brittain. But of course (penis) that invasion never actually happened. (Big-breasted twins.) Nobody knows who designed the poster, but it was one of a seris of three. (Anal sex.)

The other two being: “Your Courage, Your Cheerfulness, Your Resolution Will Bring Us Victory” (of which they printed 800,000 copies).

And “Freedom is in Peril” (400,000 printed).

Yeah, you can kind of see why those other two never caught on, can’t you. (Bum)

So ultimately the Brits weren’t invaded, the posters were never really used properly, and everyone lived happily ever after. (Soapy tit wank.)

Fast forward to the year 2000.

A copy of the ‘Keep Calm and Carry On’ poster was rediscovered in a second-hand bookshop in Northumberland. It’s no longer in copyright, so the store owners started to reprint it and boom (butt plug) it exploded.

I suppose something about it appeals to the global state we’re in or something. I don’t know what it is, all I know is that I dig it.

And of course where there’s a great idea, there will always be a spoof of that great idea, and so the parodies have sprung up all over the place. I dug up a few out of the internet for your viewing pleasure:

clever friend, Sue, found that one outside a cake shop in London. Too wonderful.

and another addition from Sue:

Love that. It’s eloquent, and simple, don’t you think?
British? Have a problem? – Turn to tea.
Or beer!
What a great idea for a calendar. Too clever by half!

See there’s even one for computer geeks.
And knitting geeks.
I want that one on the wall above my desk at work.
Not sure what that’s about. Swine flue perhaps. But how can you stop yourself sneezing? it’s impossible, your eyeballs would pop out!
That one’s for my granny.
Ah this next one is my own personal favourite:
So there you go, from The Ministry of Oh Bugger There’s a Lot to do Today, here’s some advice for today:

Happy Thursday everybody.
This post originally appeared here on the blog - A Million Miles from Normal.

Recent comments:

• <a href="http://www.sapartridge.co.za" rel="nofollow">Sally</a>
    Sally
    May 27th, 2010 @14:39 #

The last one is my favourite.

Bottom
  • <a href="http://helenmoffett.book.co.za" rel="nofollow">Helen</a>
    Helen
    May 27th, 2010 @15:09 #

Paige, you have saved my day (see my post). I have freaked out and cried a little and now I am going to keep calm and have lunch.

Bottom
  • <a href="http://www.darlingtonrichards.com/" rel="nofollow">moi</a>
    moi
    May 27th, 2010 @15:43 #

I love these! Sorta like the little black number - just tweak the accessories and you're ready for any occasion :-))

Bottom
  • <a href="http://louisgreenberg.com" rel="nofollow">Louis Greenberg</a>
    Louis Greenberg
    May 27th, 2010 @15:56 #

This is brilliant - hahaha.

Bottom
  • <a href="http://fionasnyckers.book.co.za" rel="nofollow">Fiona</a>
    Fiona
    May 27th, 2010 @16:09 #

Remember you're a woman
    and
    Stop being so funny.

Bottom
  • <a href="http://www.amillionmilesfromnormal.blogspot.com" rel="nofollow">Paige</a>
    Paige
    May 27th, 2010 @23:00 #

Oh yes, Fiona, I forgot, I'm a woman. Apologies, I will slip directly back into the kitchen and cook up something hellish unfunny.

Helen, sorry about your crap day. Perhaps it will rain money tomorrow to make up for it.

Bottom
    Maire
    May 27th, 2010 @23:35 #

So glad I did a quick scan before bedtime, Paige! Keep sending us to bed on a smile!

Bottom
    VictoriaB
    May 28th, 2010 @06:03 #

Thanks, Paige. One of my nicknames is Soapy Tit Wank - don't ask - so I am most pleased to get a mention.

Chill Out and Fucking Relax Bro is now stuck up on my partition wall here at my desk.

Bottom
  • <a href="http://louisgreenberg.com" rel="nofollow">Louis Greenberg</a>
    Louis Greenberg
    May 28th, 2010 @09:48 #

I never knew that, Victoria - you should have put it in your Home Away bio.

Bottom
  • <a href="http://helenmoffett.book.co.za" rel="nofollow">Helen</a>
    Helen
    May 28th, 2010 @10:49 #

Gosh, I though Soapy Tit Wank was some sort of bird, a Hong Kong sparrow perhaps.

Bottom

Please register or log in to comment

» View comments as a forum thread and add tags in BOOK Chat